Getting into an accident can be a life-changing event. It is essential to have legal advice from someone who knows the personal injury law. Doing so will protect you during the event of litigation or insurance disputes.
You may not think you need a Cleveland car accident lawyer after being involved in a car accident. But keep in mind that it’s better to be safe than sorry. Hiring a counsel early will give them more time to investigate your case. This will help them build a stronger case for your claim, if necessary.
It could also mean getting full compensation for all the damages. These damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and emotional suffering.
Ryan LLP has over 50 years of combined experience in the area of personal injury. Our Cleveland personal injury law firm has been known for helping people like you to get through their most difficult times, especially after serious car accidents caused by negligent drivers. Our Cleveland personal injury lawyers will handle all the legal work surrounding your personal injury claim while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Our Cleveland car accident lawyers will listen carefully as they assess your situation. This process enables them to provide honest answers about what options are available. It will also easily help them make things right again after such devastating events.
Don’t wait until it’s too late; call us today at (216) 363-6040 and get a free consultation!
HOW RYAN LLP CAN HELP YOU AFTER AN UBER ACCIDENT IN CLEVELAND
If you’re a person who resides in the Cleveland region and was hurt due to another person’s carelessness, you might want to explore legal options.
Our Cleveland, OH car accident attorneys at Ryan LLP law firm have the expertise and ability to handle any case. We’ll work with you every step of the way to ensure that you take the most advantage of your legal rights.
At Ryan LLP, we stay informed on the changing rules of the insurance industry that rule Uber and other ridesharing companies.
We will work hard to fight in obtaining your maximum compensation for your damages through:
- Doing a thorough investigation of your case, so we can determine the root cause of your Uber accident;
- Finding out the legally responsible individuals for your Uber accident in Miami;
- Identifying all insurance coverage you can avail;
- Defending you whenever an insurance provider puts the blame on you;
- Negotiating maximum and fair settlement available in your case.
WHAT IS YOUR MIAMI UBER ACCIDENT CASE WORTH?
The answer to this question relies on various factors such as:
- The type of injury you’ve sustained, its severity, and the length of time it will continue to affect your everyday lifestyle;
- The money you would have earned if you had not lost your job, as well as any medical bills or other out-of-pocket expenditures;
- Whether the accident was extremely distressing;
- The severity of your injuries and the level of medical treatment required.
In practice, the amount of insurance coverage available is a major factor in determining the value of your personal injury claim. For a variety of reasons, the Uber system is unique.
Uber and Lyft drivers are independent contractors who use their own personal automobiles to transport paying passengers.
If the Uber driver was operating the car for commercial purposes, his or her no-fault insurance coverage would most likely not be accessible.
To provide two tiers of insurance coverage, Uber requires you to have automobile insurance. As a result, the settlement value of your Miami Uber or Lyft accident claim might differ depending on the driver’s status at the time of the incident.
WHO MAY BE ABLE TO CLAIM COMPENSATION AFTER AN UBER ACCIDENT IN CLEVELAND?
AN UBER DRIVER HIT ME, AND IT WAS MY FAULT: EVEN IF YOU WERE AT FAULT, THEY WILL STILL PAY FOR YOUR DAMAGES!
If you are injured in a car accident and seek to file a claim, it is important to understand Uber’s insurance policies.
We are dedicated personal injury lawyers who pursue justice, fairness, and outstanding results. Contact us if:
- You were in an Uber or Lyft when you were injured in a vehicle accident.
- At the time of the accident, you were wounded in a car accident caused by an Uber or Lyft employee.
- You were a driver in an Uber or Lyft accident.
- Uber and Lyft have $1 million in combined total liability insurance. This fund is for incidents involving their drivers. The coverage is in addition to the individual insurance policies. And is also for the demand their drivers have. The high coverage limit opens the door for a big payout to those who suffer significant injuries.
At the time of a collision, you may be able to recover compensation if the Uber and Lyft driver who caused it was actively working for the company.
WHAT CAUSES UBER ACCIDENTS IN CLEVELAND, OHIO?
Cleveland, Ohio Uber accidents are not as uncommon as you may think. These collisions can and do occur for a variety of reasons. In Cleveland, Ohio the following are some of the most common causes of rideshare car accidents:
- Distracted driving. Uber and Lyft drivers are not immune to the distractions caused by smartphones. These small yet so important devices might offer an immense number of benefits. Yet, they also become one of the most prevalent causes of distracted driving.
- Failure to yield the right-of-way. Failure to yield the right-of-way is one of the leading causes of Uber accidents. When a rideshare driver fails to stop, slow down, or move over for pedestrians or other vehicles in the vicinity, serious injuries can occur.
- Tailgating. Tailgating can be a significant problem for all motorists, especially those who are driving for Uber or Lyft. If you have been hurt by a tailgater, it is important to collect as much information as possible about the person who hit you. Do this before reporting the accident to authorities.
- Speeding. In some cases, speed might not have been a factor in an accident. Even so, speeding remains one of the most common causes of accidents on U.S. roadways every year. And this becomes even truer when we consider rideshare drivers specifically.
- Pulling over to pick up/drop off passengers in an unsafe location. It is dangerous for passengers to hop in a car with a rideshare driver who has pulled over in an unsafe location. Plus, doing so also increases the likelihood of horrific accidents occurring.
- Aggressive driving. As Uber drivers share the road with other drivers, they can act more aggressively compared to if they had their own vehicle. When you combine that increased aggression with distracted or impaired driving, it becomes easy to see why roads become unsafe.
- Unsafe passing. Unsafe passing is another most common cause of accidents for Uber drivers. You may be able to file a claim for both the driver and Uber after they decide to pass you in an area that has limited space.
- Illegal turns. When Uber drivers make illegal turns, they increase the risk of a serious collision. If you find yourself in the middle of an accident that was caused by an illegal turn, it might be possible to take legal action.
- Running a red light or stop sign. Uber drivers are more likely to run a red light or stop sign than other motorists. They might also do so at a higher rate than those who own and operate their own vehicles.
- Drunk driving. Since Uber drivers often look to pick up additional fares during the night, they are more susceptible to drive while intoxicated. If you find yourself in an accident with a drunk Uber driver, it is important to record as much information as you can. Gather data regarding them and their ride-sharing company before contacting law enforcement.
- Illegal drug use behind the wheel. Illegal drug use behind the wheel is another common cause of Uber accidents. If an Uber driver is using illegal drugs and crashes into your vehicle, you might be able to file a claim for compensation against that party and their company.
- Defective vehicle components. Defective vehicle components can also cause Uber accidents. If you are involved in an accident and notice that the other driver’s car is improperly maintained, it might be possible to take legal action against both parties.
- Poorly trained drivers. Poorly trained drivers are another common cause of accidents. If you are hit by a rideshare driver who lacks adequate training, your attorney will attempt to prove that their company failed to provide them with the skills necessary to operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Hazardous road conditions. Hazards on the road – such as construction work, poor weather conditions, and limited visibility – can often cause Uber accidents.
COMMON INJURIES SUSTAINED IN A CLEVELAND UBER ACCIDENT
Just like any other traffic accident, the injuries sustained in an Uber accident can be quite severe. The following are the most prevalent injuries that have been recorded in Uber accidents:
- Head trauma – head trauma such as brain injury and concussion are one of the most serious types of injuries that you might sustain in an Uber accident.
- Severe lacerations – severe lacerations can cause significant blood loss and nerve damage. Individuals who have suffered from severe lacerations should seek immediate medical treatment because they might need life-saving surgery to stop their bleeding.
- Broken bones – broken bones create shifting internal organs, which then damages and inhibit the blood flow to those organs. This can cause you to develop infections and experience internal bleeding that requires emergency medical treatment.
- Amputation – in some cases, it might be necessary to amputate a limb due to injuries sustained during an accident.
- Spinal cord injuries – spinal cord injuries often lead individuals with extensive paralysis or limited mobility. Spinal cord injuries require immediate medical attention and might result in permanent disability and loss of income over time.
- Neck injuries – neck injuries such as a herniated or bulging disc can cause significant pain and “pins and needles” in one’s arms. They might also require surgery to fix them properly.
- Shoulder injuries – shoulder injuries such as a torn rotator cuff require immediate medical attention and might result in the need for long-term physical therapy.
- Permanent scarring/disfigurement – scars and disfigurements can cause significant emotional trauma and might require corrective surgery to correct.
- Death – if a person dies, their family members could file a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent driver. The damages awarded in these lawsuits could include compensation for the expenses incurred as a result of that individual’s passing and loss of future income or companionship.
HOW CAN I GET MONEY IF AN UBER DRIVER CAUSED MY ACCIDENT?
You may be able to file a personal injury claim against an Uber, Lyft, or other ridesharing company driver if you are injured in an accident caused by them. Your claim might be extended to include Uber and/or Lyft as well if it is subsequently proven that the driver’s insurance company did not have enough insurance claim to cover your injuries before getting behind the wheel of their car for work.
A car accident attorney will be able to help you get the fair compensation you need from the sufferings you endured during the accident.
AN UBER DRIVER ACCEPTED A RIDE REQUEST OR HAD A PASSENGER IN THE CAR
Uber’s $1 million insurance coverage kicks in when a customer avails the service of an Uber driver.
The Uber driver and their insurance claim policy will be the first place you look for compensation. Uber’s coverage may cover the difference between your losses and what you can get from these other sources.
Uber will fight to disclaim responsibility and liability for your injuries. The firm is not legally responsible if a driver causes an accident since the drivers are independent contractors. That is, at least, Uber’s viewpoint. Hiring an attorney may put you in the best possible position to receive the compensation you deserve.
AN UBER DRIVER LOGGED INTO THE APP, WAITING FOR A RIDE REQUEST
When your accident involves an Uber driver who’s logged into the app and waited for a ride request, things become a little more complicated. If a collision takes place in this kind of situation, you may be able to seek compensation from Uber’s limited insurance policy.
- For body injury: $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident;
- For property damage: $25,000 per accident.
The drivers and their insurance companies will, nevertheless, be your main source of compensation. If the damages exceed the money you can get from them, you may file a claim for Uber’s coverage with the help of your Cleveland Uber and Lyft accident lawyer to receive benefits.
AN UBER DRIVER WAS OFF DUTY AND NOT LOGGED INTO THE UBER APP
If the driver was “off duty” and not logged into the app, Uber will disclaim all responsibility for your injuries.
In such scenarios, you may seek compensation from the driver or their insurance company. You can also claim benefits for your injuries and property damage with your own insurer if you have automobile insurance coverage.
WHAT TYPE OF COMPENSATION CAN I SEEK IN AN UBER ACCIDENT?
If you are injured in an accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical costs, lost wages as a result of your injuries, and any lasting disability resulting from the event that would necessitate future medical treatment or care, and other expenditures.
It’s important to note that both Uber and Lyft offer additional insurance coverage for accidents involving their vehicles.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A RIDESHARE ACCIDENT IN CLEVELAND
After you get into an accident that was caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, it’s important to act quickly by protecting your future interests:
- If you’ve been hurt, don’t be afraid to seek medical help, even if you think your injuries are minor at first. Physical pain is simply one of many ways a person can be injured in a vehicle accident; shock, mental anxiety, and terror are all possible side effects of a Cleveland ridesharing accident.
- Contact Uber or Lyft as soon as possible after an accident occurs. Both rideshare companies must give information on the driver who caused your injuries, which you can examine with your Cleveland personal injury attorney. This information is necessary to build a compelling case on your behalf.
- You should also make every effort to preserve any pieces of evidence that could substantiate your claim — pay attention to what insurance adjusters say and do at the scene of the accident, take photos of the site and/or damage caused by the other vehicle involved in the wreck (if possible, take photos of the other driver), and try to stay calm while speaking with anyone who shows up at the scene. You may also want to get the contact information of any witnesses or injured victims.
CLEVELAND UBER ACCIDENT FAQS
Is Uber liable for accidents?
In general, no. When a ridesharing driver causes an accident, the rideshare firm cannot be sued. Because Uber and Lyft drivers are often considered independent contractors rather than direct employees, this is the case. As a result, the ridesharing company may not be held responsible for any damages caused by the driver’s carelessness.
What if I’m partly blamed for my uber accident, can I still recover compensation?
The short answer is yes. If you are partially at fault for a Cleveland Uber accident, you will still be allowed to pursue compensation from the other driver as long as your degree of fault does not surpass that of the other party involved.
Talking to a Cleveland Uber or Lyft accident lawyer will help you recover the monetary compensation you need. Speak with our Cleveland personal injury attorney to know more about liability issues.
Will Uber penalize me for filing a claim?
A rideshare accident might be an extremely traumatic experience, and many vehicle accident victims are concerned about losing access to Uber or Lyft if they proceed with a claim.
When riders sign a firm’s Terms of Service, they agree to have their accounts terminated if they are found to be in violation of the contract. The Terms of Service further indicate that any complaints shall be resolved through an arbitration procedure.
These various legal requirements might be difficult to comprehend on your own. As a result, it is important to hire a Cleveland Uber accident lawyer or a Cleveland Lyft accident lawyer.
CONTACT A CLEVELAND UBER ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IF YOU’VE SUFFERED INJURIES IN AN UBER ACCIDENT IN CLEVELAND
Our Cleveland Uber and Lyft accident attorney will help you obtain the fair compensation that you deserve or even represent you in court, if necessary.
Call us today and speak with our Cleveland Uber accident lawyer to know more about your rights. Reach us at (216) 363-6040 or visit our office at 55 Public Square, Suite 2100, Cleveland, Ohio 44113. Your first consultation is 100% free.